Ah… summer! My favorite time of the year. Some people love the fall with all the beautiful foliage, others prefer spring with everything in bloom and a sense of opportunity in the air. A select few even say it’s winter all the way, arguing for open fires and hot cocoa, but for me, summer is, hands down, the best time of the year.
Perhaps it has something to do with childhood and the summer school holidays, but there is a real sense of freedom during summer. The days are longer making it possible to fit more into our busy lives, the sun shines bright and cheery, and the smells of sunscreen, freshly mowed grass, and iced tea permeate the air. Summer is shorts and sunglasses, ice cream and pools, fresh air and outdoor activities.
The opportunity to spend more time outdoors is perhaps the main reason why I love summer so much. That and the fact that my body doesn’t have to expend all its energy on keeping my vital organs warm. Going to the beach, taking evening strolls and the opportunity to do outdoor sports are fantastic, but my all time favorite outdoor summer activity is the humble picnic!
Fantastic food, the beautiful outdoors and great company. What more could you ask for?
July just so happens to be National Picnic Month, and in honor of this glorious occasion we thought we would share some ways to make your picnic even better. ‘But how do you improve on perfection?’ I hear you say. Well, picnics may be oodles of fun, but with all the food and the temptation to stay sedentary under a tree for hours on end, they can be a little bit gluttonous, a tad unhealthy.
To make sure your picnic is just as magical as always, but that it doesn’t throw off your healthy lifestyle, here are 6 essential tips:
- Bring water. Staying hydrated is always important but especially during the summer when temperatures are high and the sun is strong. Bonus tip: fill a water bottle ¼ of the way up and lay it flat in the freezer over night. The next morning, fill it up the rest of the way and you have icy cool water for your picnic!
- Do some body-moving activities. Yes, picnics are all about the great food but burning it off doesn’t have to mean a grueling gym session. Play some badminton or softball with your picnic buddies or take a walk to explore the natural area you’re in.
- Keep your mind ticking. Bring along a board game or cards. Not only do they make mental stimulation easy but they are a great way to have fun and foster relationships all at the same time.
- Be careful what you put in that basket. Swap out the white bread for wholemeal on those finger sandwiches and make a fruit salad or pack some roasted nuts instead of salty, fatty chips to snack on. Making some smart changes to the food you pack will mean your lovely day in the grass won’t have to end with bloating or heaviness.
- Be sun smart. Make sure you apply sunscreen, and wear sunglasses and a hat. The warmth of the sun on your skin can be wonderful but without proper protection it can be dangerous too.
- Choose your spot carefully. Keeping the sun in mind, a spot with some shade is usually best. Something else to consider is how comfortable you are sitting on the ground. If you have back problems, bring chairs or cushions to make sure you don’t exacerbate them.
Great company, gorgeous weather and a little bit of forward planning will ensure you have an awesome picnic that’s both fun and healthy. And ph360 and ShaeTM will ensure the rest of your health needs are taken care of with ease. Now, what are you waiting for? Grab those blankets and baskets and enjoy Picnic Month!