I love my vacation self. Vacay-me is relaxed, more fun, and sleeps better. When I’m on holiday, food tastes better, I have more energy and I fully enjoy every experience I have. This is because, on vacation, I live in the moment. My headspace isn’t taken up by work deadlines, neglected chores and worrying about things that haven’t even happened yet, like it is in everyday life.
On vacation, we tend to experience more fully the world around us. Overall health helps enormously with mental wellness, and technology like ph360, and the new ShaeTM make it easy. But how can we bring some of this holiday magic home? Here are some easy ways to get more headspace and be present in day-to-day life:
- Notice when you stand up or sit down. Put everything out of your mind for a few seconds and consciously observe the change in contact and posture. It sounds so simple, but it can be quiet challenging to purposely concentrate on something that has become so second nature.
- Count your breath. A few times a day pause, close your eyes and concentrate on the air going in and out of your lungs. Count ‘one’ on the inhale, ‘two’ on the exhale and so on until you get to ten. Takes less than a minute and you can do it almost anywhere.
- Set an hourly reminder on your phone. Sometimes, in the buzz of a busy day, it can be hard to even remember to breathe. Having something to gently nudge you to just pause and take in your surroundings can go a long way.
- Look out the window. Even if it means walking away from your desk, go and look at the outside world for a few minutes. Observe the wind in the trees or the people walking by on the pavement. It will remind you that there is whole world outside your head.
- Scan your body. This is another one that can be done almost anywhere. Close your eyes and scan your body from the top of your head to the tips of your toes, noticing any discomfort, unpleasant or pleasant sensations. Don’t judge your body for hurting here or being uncomfortable there – just observe.
- Listen to the sounds all around you. Close your eyes and let your sense of hearing take over. Don’t try to concentrate on any particular sound. Just open your ears and let the sounds come to you – the ones close by and the ones far away. Another great one for getting outside your own head.
- Don’t eat in front of the TV or with any other distractions. Every once in a while sit down and really concentrate on what you’re eating. Look at it, smell it, taste it and focus on what you notice.
- Download Shae™ – personalized health in the palm of your hand. Once launched, Shae™, your personal health assistant will be able to prompt you to take time out for yourself at the times that are best for your health. The most comprehensive personal health assistant, she will know you better than you know yourself.
Also in Health
There’s a new wave of medicine sweeping the field that goes beyond preventative care and approaches the power of truly personalized health. It’s called functional medicine. The functional medicine movement began with physicians recognizing that symptoms need to be…