Life is busy. Usually this just means that your life is full – full of friends, full of family, full of fun, and full of meaning. Between work, the house cleaning, social engagements and other responsibilities it can be challenging to find time to take care of yourself. Making major changes to your health can seem like a daunting and difficult task, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are 7 easy things you can do at any time throughout your day to take better care of yourself and get the most out of life.
- Yes, physical exercise is important and we should all do it, but I’m talking about movement throughout your day. Many of us live sedentary lifestyles and do not move our bodies in the way they were made to move. Set yourself an alarm for once every hour and take 30 seconds to move your body in a way that is safe for you. You could do some stretches sitting at your desk or go for a short stroll.
- Pick up the phone. Call a good friend, or that cousin you haven’t spoken to in a while, or your mom. Don’t call to ask a question or a favor. Call ‘just because’. After a 10 minute, no-pressure conversation, you’ll both be in a better mood.
- Go to your happy place. Your environment can have a huge impact on your body and mind. Look at the ‘Place’ section of your ph360 and spend a little time in a space that’s best for you. Do you need a cozy environment? Find a corner of your house where you can be comfortable for a little while. Do you need wide-open spaces and fresh air? Go for a short walk through a park.
- Put the cookie down! We all have our favorite foods but making big changes to your diet doesn’t have to be scary. Is there something that you eat regularly that is a frowny food on your ph360 food list? Commit to cutting out that one thing. Once you have conquered it, cut out another. Or two. Or all of them! It will get easier.
- Be mindful. Take a few minutes out of every day to take a conscious step back and just observe. Traditional forms of meditation are fantastic but you can also try deep breathing or just having some quiet time to slow down and take stock.
- You do you. What’s something you are good at or enjoy doing? Maybe it’s puzzles, or dancing or helping others. Have a look at your ‘Talents’ section of ph360. Spend some time doing something you have a natural talent for. You’ll have fun and you’ll feel better about yourself.
- Let it go. Don’t be hard on yourself. You ate the cookie? So what? Tomorrow you won’t. Forgot to call your friend? That’s OK. You can do it now. You’re not perfect. No one is. So cut yourself some slack and give yourself credit for the things you DO achieve – no matter how small they may seem. Don’t dwell on the things you don’t do. Just keep trying!
Also in HealthTypes
Last year I went through a significant personal realignment. A rebalancing of myself after becoming a mother. I wrote an article sharing my gratitude and reflections on my incredible mentors who supported me through. I…