Personalized health is far more than a fad: It’s a way of being. Taking your health into your own hands means daily acts of self-care that add up to a healthy you. It also means taking the time to discover what works for you and what doesn’t. But there are certainly guideposts along the way to taking care of yourself in the best way possible for your individual body profile.
Here are 7 habits of truly personalized health to help get you started.
- Eat Right for Your Body: Every body has a unique set of genes, which are expressed differently depending on environment and lifestyle. Similarly, every body has distinct nutritive needs, as determined by various hormonal and pH levels, and external factors like climate, season, and fitness. Although needs will vary from person to person, a good starting place is to incorporate as many whole foods into your diet as possible, and limit your intake of processed foods (think sugars, flours, and highly processed animal products).Beyond that, it’s imperative to stop following cookie cutter diets—the diet right for you is the one that works for your unique body profile.
- Spend Time in Environments that Heal: Given our genetic diversity, every body thrives in a distinct environment. The dry heat of Arizona that keeps your husband spry and happy might be oppressive and aggravating for you, whereas your ideal misty cool might be deflating to him. Do some family tree investigation to find out where your ancestors came from, and know that your ideal climate for health might be someplace similar. Make micro-adjustments to simulate a climate like that indoors, or take a vacation that honors your ancestors!
- Sleep at the Right Time for Your Body: The body does important work between the hours of 11 pm and 5 am, when your body should be resting. Because of this, the time that you sleep may actually be more important than the length of your sleep. Do yourself a favor and schedule in some z’s by 11 pm tonight!
- Drink Enough Water: Every cell of your body is comprised of water, and although everyone needs slightly different amounts of the vital fluid, it’s safe to say that you can never be reminded enough to hydrate with the stuff of which you’re made. Keep a bottle of water with you throughout the day and keep yourself thriving.
- Exercise the Way Your Body was Built: Basketball players look nothing like gymnasts for a reason. The one just wasn’t built to do the other. Similarly, your body’s unique, natural shape and size should influence the types of exercise in which you engage. Taking your body’s measurements (like you’ll do in your ph360 personal health assessment) is a great way to begin the discovery process of the types of fitness best for you!
- Spend Time with People who Nurture: Just as different foods may nourish or harm the body, so too can toxic social situations tax your mental and physical health. Make sure you spend time with people who nurture your well-being on every level.
- Take Care of Your Mind: The practice of mindfulness, or cultivating awareness about yourself and your strengths, weaknesses, needs, and goals, will help you stay clear and focused on your health as priority. Take a few minutes each day to relax your mind and refocus on what’s most important to you!
ph360 will support you to keep tabs on your own personalized health revolution by suggesting and tracking the habits that will lead to vibrant success! Start today with our special offer on a Lifetime Membership.
Also in Health
By Sophia Godkin, PhD The word ‘karma’ gets a bad rap these days. It’s like the misbehaving child causing a ruckus on the playground, making everyone’s life miserable. Just say the word ‘karma’ and the expression…