Looking for ways to stay healthy during the global pandemic? You should be!
It all sounds very scary, doesn’t it? But the good news is that you have an incredibly helpful tool to help fight the CoronaVirus already!
What is it?
Your immune system.
Just like breathing, your body naturally has its own automatic defense system that kills off plenty of bacteria and viruses every day without you even noticing.
When a new threat enters your body, a healthy and strong immune system can fight and kill the intruder – including COVID-19. Supporting and strengthening your immune system helps you stay healthy and well.
Use whatcha mother gave ya!
In your immune system you have an inbuilt virus-fighting-machine. It’s awesome.
Some of us don’t have a strong immune system, some of us do and some of us have problems with our immune system not being able to function very well and these are the people really at risk of having complications due to a virus. (If you’re one of these people you’re likely already aware of it!).
So how can we give our immune system the best kind of support to be strong and do its job as well as possible?
It’s quite simple – and can be very inexpensive too!
Over the next few days we’ll explore a bunch of things you can do at home to help boost your immune system and stay healthy!
For today, we’ll look briefly at some of the simple things that can help prevent the CoronaVirus from entering your body AND strengthen your immune system so you can fight it off if it does!
1. Wash your hands.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds when you can. Let the soap get between those fingers and under your nails to have them nice and clean and get rid of any nasties that don’t belong there, like COVID-19!
- If you find your hands are getting really dry from the soap, carry a small tube of hand cream with you too!
- Hand sanitizer is a secondary option and it is a poor second choice. Use your sanitizer but wash your hands again whenever you have access.
2. Try not to touch your face.
- Your eyes, throat, and nose are the best places for a virus to enter your body as it easily slips in through the mucosa.
- If your hands come into contact with a virus and then you touch your eyes, mouth or nose, it may easily lead to an infection.
- Notice how often you touch your face now and see if you can decrease the habit.
3. Dose up on your known immuno-boosters.
- This can be as simple as choosing the right foods to add into your day. (If you’re on medication or undergoing medical treatment check in with your medical practitioner before changing your diet.) Common food items that support your immune system are:
- Vitamin C in Citrus fruits, mango, pineapple, papaya, kiwifruits, berries and more.
- Zinc found in oysters, shellfish, beef, pumpkin seeds, lentils, sunflower seeds and more.
- Sulphur-containing foods like broccoli, onion, garlic, leek, and cabbage.
- Elderberries packed with immune-boosting antioxidants and vitamins.
Prevention may not be quite as exciting as finding a magical ‘cure’ but it is quite sexy in the way that, when we prevent illness from occurring, there may not be such a desperate need for a cure in the first place.
Stay tuned for more each day on how you can strengthen your immune system so you and your family can be your own best defense against infections like the CoronaVirus.
Also in Breaking News
We’ve got good and bad news for you. Let’s get the bad out of the way first: New research shows that lifestyle choices, such as inactivity, weight gain, diet, and smoking may lead to cancer. Sound familiar? Well the good news might…