Burnout is real and not to be underestimated. Its triggers are wide ranging and specific to the individual, but of course stress is a significant culprit. And for many, the holiday season can be both the busiest, and the most stressful time of year.
Burnout is a term that describes exhaustion on mental, physical, and emotional planes. In the workplace, you may have begun to feel constantly on edge and disinterested in the job at hand. And at home, you may feel tired, irritable, and notice changes in your appetite and sleep.
During the holiday months, you might feel excessive pressure to show up at events, parties, and family gatherings with greater frequency. Your family might have expectations of you that are different from the rest of the year. And you may have heightened expectations of yourself to show up for the people you love at your best.
But life doesn’t always work that way. Unless you’re taking care of yourself, you’ll likely have very little to give those you love.
Here are our five favorite ways to take care of yourself and make sure you don’t burn out over the holidays!
- Ask for help. Research shows that connection with loved ones can elevate your mood and your health. If you’re starting to feel overwhelmed, don’t wait til you’re in the depth of frustration. Ask for a helping hand from someone you love!
- Eat nourishing foods. The foods you eat can influence how you feel, both psychologically, physically, and emotionally. Make sure that you eat foods that will give you energy and focus, so you can take care of everything you need to during this busy time! Loading up on the fruits and veggies that are best for you is always a great place to start.
- Get enough sleep. Your body needs sleep in order to properly regulate your hormones and physiological processes. Try going to sleep before 11 pm whenever possible, so that your body is at rest when your hormone regulating glands need to work.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise will help reduce the negative effects of stress and improve your mood. Find the exercise routine that works best for your body, and stick to it. Bonus: You’ll look sexier in all your cute holiday outfits!
- Take moments for yourself. Whenever you feel the need, steal a moment to reconnect and center. Whether that means meditating in the morning, spending five minutes lying down before a dinner party, or taking a lunchtime stroll on your own to gather your thoughts, invest this much deserved time in yourself. You’re worth it.
Ready to take your self-care to the next level? Discover stress-relieving tips unique to your body today on ph360.me!
Also in Health
There’s a new wave of medicine sweeping the field that goes beyond preventative care and approaches the power of truly personalized health. It’s called functional medicine. The functional medicine movement began with physicians recognizing that symptoms need to be…